Monday 4 May 2009

Dick? That's an interesting name...



Happy birthday to Dick Dale, 72 today. Who? I hear you ask...

This legendary Lebanese/Polish guitar maestro was hugely influential in the early 1960s. His skill was to merge the musical influences of his exotic background with the sound of the electric guitar to create a whole new style, which became more widely known as "surf music".

Being largely outshone by imitators such as the Beach Boys, Dick probably would have been consigned to the dustbin of history had it not been for one of his biggest fans, a certain Mr Tarantino...


But this is my own personal favourite of his:


Dick Dale (born Richard Anthony Mansour, 4th May 1937)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave a message - I value your comments!

[NB Bear with me if there is a delay - thanks to spammers I might need to approve comments]