Thursday 27 August 2009

That's MISS Holloway to you!

Twenty years ago the UK Top Ten - despite the great movements in House/Dance, Madchester and Electronic music at the time - was not particularly brilliant, as the first five prove:

  • 1 Swing the Mood - Jive Bunny And The Mastermixers
  • 2 Ride on Time - Black Box
  • 3 I Just Don't Have The Heart - Cliff Richard
  • 4 Poison - Alice Cooper
  • 5 Toy Soldiers - Martika
The prize for the next few weeks was to go to Black Box - which was indeed the best track of the five - who went on to hold the Number 1 spot for six weeks.

However even back then I was annoyed with them, because I loved the brilliant Loleatta Holloway. I felt it was shameful that this gaggle of Italians were trying to pass off their skinny model "singer" as the actual vocalist, when it was blatantly obvious she had nothing to do with the recording at all and it was Miss Holloway's vocals that they used.

For the sake of a comparison here are the two tracks - first Ride On Time by Black Box:


And here is the original (which I am aware has by now had more outings than a nursing home):

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave a message - I value your comments!

[NB Bear with me if there is a delay - thanks to spammers I might need to approve comments]