Sunday 24 January 2010

For The Love Of Opera Gloves

For the lovely blackeyedblonde...





In the Victorian era, it was not exactly proper, as you might imagine, for a lady just to walk up to a gentleman and tell him that she'd like to get to know him better! "Flirtation codes" were developed using a wide variety of objects. The "fan code" is the best-known, but gloves were also used as flirtation signals.

Here are some of the better-known glove signals:
  • Twirling one's gloves around her fingers - We are being watched
  • Holding the tips of the gloves downward - I wish to be acquainted
  • Gently smoothing the gloves - I wish I were with you; I would like to talk with you
  • Holding one's gloves loosely in her right hand - Be contented
  • Holding one's gloves loosely in her left hand - I am satisfied
  • Striking one's gloves over her hands - I am displeased
  • Tossing one's gloves up gently - I am engaged
  • Tapping one's chin with her gloves - I love another
  • Dropping one of her gloves - Yes
  • Dropping both gloves - I love you
  • Turning the wrong side of one's gloves outward - I hate you
Of course, many of the above signals involved having to remove at least one glove, which was not considered proper.

For The Love Of Opera Gloves website

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave a message - I value your comments!

[NB Bear with me if there is a delay - thanks to spammers I might need to approve comments]