Sunday 10 October 2010

Snake's heads, Ronaldo and Lakmé



It's been a gardening weekend here at Dolores Delargo Towers... Our friend Al kindly bought us a big bag of bulbs from Kew Gardens as a house-warming prezzie. I had already planted some red tulips and golden daffs with wallflowers in the little bed out the front a few weeks ago, but then the weather turned shit and so the back garden had to wait.

Yesterday I planted up two tubs - one with three enormous bulbs of the magnificent Lilium regale (above) that we purchased at the RHS Autumn Show last week. In the other I planted a layered mix of these beauties...



That's Tulip "Ronaldo" (named after my favourite sexy footballer, perhaps?) and Narcissus "Thalia" - which should be stunning together!

In the garden itself, we now have a drift of English bluebells, Anemone "du Caen", and Snake's Head Fritillary (Fritillaria meleagris), which should be joyful:



All this, and it is warm enough to sit out in shorts, sipping Rosé - not bad for mid-October!

To finish the glorious weekend off in a fitting manner, here's dear Dame Joan Sutherland with an appropriate aria - enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave a message - I value your comments!

[NB Bear with me if there is a delay - thanks to spammers I might need to approve comments]