Sunday 30 October 2011

Sons of satin, sons of bitches



Happy 72nd birthday today to the magnificently kooky Grace Slick!

The archetypal "emancipated woman" of the late 60s hippy era, contemporary of Janis Joplin and lead singer with Jefferson Airplane and Jefferson Starship, Miss Slick is largely unrecognised nowadays for her contribution to the subsequent prominence of sassy women in rock music. She surely provided an influence on the Patti Smiths, Debbie Harrys and Chrissie Hindes of later generations!

Her solo effort of 1980, Dreams, was a typically strange affair (and pre-dated Starship's later reinvention as purveyors of power ballads - and with it their biggest commercial success in their long history), and the single of the same name is well worth rediscovering on this Hallowe'en weekend:


Fancy lion tamers, high-wire fiery flamers
Ravers of every kind
I saw those high-stepping sexy witches
Sons of satin, sons of bitches - all were there in my dreams
all in my dreams


Grace Slick biography

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave a message - I value your comments!

[NB Bear with me if there is a delay - thanks to spammers I might need to approve comments]