Tuesday 29 November 2011

A surprising ally



As Nicholas Watts in The Guardian says:
"Aristocrats will be choking on their port. John Bercow, the Commons Speaker, has included a series of pink triangles and rainbow colours on his new coat of arms to highlight his role in championing LGBT – lesbian, gay, bisexual and transgender – rights."
Bercow is a bumptious little shit, so part of me is aghast.

Yet I suppose he does hold one of the highest offices in the land, so this is possibly one of the most surprising gestures of support for gay rights (outside of legislation) that the British Establishment has seen in a long time...

2 comments:

  1. My thoughts exactly.

    He's not great looking and he is a Tory but I was still pleased at the gesture and very public gesture too.

    The sad thing is there are probably still some MP's that are gay that stay in the closet and yet here is a straight man incorporating the Rainbow flag and the Pink Triangle in his Coat of Arms.

    x

    ReplyDelete
  2. He was marginally cute when younger - as this photo shows. However, that's hardly the point - good on him for riling his stuffed-shirt opponents by doing this I say! Still doesn't make him a likeable man, though... Jx

    ReplyDelete

Please leave a message - I value your comments!

[NB Bear with me if there is a delay - thanks to spammers I might need to approve comments]