Thursday 8 December 2011

Tell me baby where did I go wrong?



"I don't do anything in order to cause trouble. It just so happens that what I do naturally causes trouble. I'm proud to be a troublemaker."

Many happy returns to Miss Sinead O'Connor, singer, songwriter, anti-war campaigner and all-round fruit-loop, who celebrates her 45th birthday today - apparently by getting married to husband number four!

The lady has never been very far from the headlines over the years - for ripping up a photo of the Pope on live TV in the US, for refusing to perform if the American anthem was played, then later for being ordained as a priest in a weirdo offshoot of the self-same Catholic church she so decried...

Yet despite many hiccups in her professional and public career, and many hit-and-miss musical ones too (her latest project is a foray into reggae of all things!) Miss O'Connor remains forever etched on my consciousness - if only for the one song that is guaranteed to make even a hard-bitten bitch such as yours truly cry, Nothing Compares 2 U:


Pass the hankies...

Changing the mood somewhat, Miss O'Connor (and Alison Moyet!) also notably provided backing vocals for this most memorable of appearances by Miss Dusrty Springfield (her last) on Jools Holland's show back in 1995. Sublime.


Happy birthday to a unique talent!

Sinead O'Connor on Wikipedia

2 comments:

  1. I really dont like Sinead. The song is awesome of course - thanks to Prince, who wrote it!

    Dusty however - always amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have never been a huge fan either - but in a similar way to Bjork, it is for her genuine loopiness that she will forever be remembered. As well as THAT song, of course (Prince did indeed write some gems!).

    In complete contrast, Dusty was a genuine musical genius of unparallelled talent, and we adore her...

    Jx

    ReplyDelete

Please leave a message - I value your comments!

[NB Bear with me if there is a delay - thanks to spammers I might need to approve comments]