Thursday 1 March 2012

Musical Mélange



It's been a while since I captured a few of the newer sounds that have piqued my interest...

We go away from the bright lights of showbiz for a couple of breaks, and look what happens - a second instalment of Kylie Minogue's "K25" Silver Jubilee celebrations is released! This is a fab stripped-back take on the classic On A Night Like This, and I love it:


Miss Charlotte Hatherley, formerly the guitarist from Ash, has re-emerged into the ambient electro world, calling herself Sylver Tongue. Capturing a hint of 80s experimentalists the Cocteau Twins here, and more recent popsters such as Goldfrapp there, Hook You Up is a beautiful concoction:



Thanks once again to the lovely Henry over at Barbarella's Galaxy, here's another new European band I have never heard before. And French combo M83 (for it is they) have only gone and got their new single Midnight City remixed by Swedish mega-DJ Eric Prydz! On their website they describe the video thus: "a tribute to Village of the Damned and Close Encounters of the Third Kind...No kids were hurt in the process!"


Mere words cannot describe the colour-splash of Con Bro Chill! With possibly the most fluorescent video since Wham's Wake Me Up Before You Go-Go, and a happy sound reminiscent of the Scissor Sisters with a "Madchester" beat, here's Power Happy:


Look out GaGa, there's someone else out there ready to take your tinfoil crown! Judging from this remarkable dance number Time To Go, Miss Kwanza Jones is a very fierce rulin' diva indeed. And I love her voice!


And to conclude, topping and tailing this selection with our Patron Saints, Queen Madge has premiered her new upcoming single Girl Gone Wild, and again the jury is out - it certainly is catchy, especially after a couple of listens. I suspect somehow it needs a bit more remixing (and, of course a decent video) to make it a classic. We'll see...


As ever, enjoy!

5 comments:

  1. I've seen two of these artists perform live. Can you guess which ones?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I would guess Charlotte when she was with Ash (I saw them at G.A.Y., of all places), but the other? It has to be either Kylie or Madge (neither of whom I have seen yet!) Jx

      Delete
    2. Actually, I saw M83 (with opener Ulrich Schnauss) in a small Chicago club, but was way too tipsy to remember much of it. The other? Madonna, of course! Twice!

      Delete
  2. I have also seen two of these acts live - Madonna of course (twice - NO WORDS CAN DESCRIBE BEING FRONT ROW AT HER CONFESSIONS TOUR!) and of course Kylie (back in 2001 - she was fabulous!).

    My faves of the bunch are obviously the two divas, the fantastic track by M83 (love the video too) and Miss Jones.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I imagine no mere words could describe that experience... Jx

      Delete

Please leave a message - I value your comments!

[NB Bear with me if there is a delay - thanks to spammers I might need to approve comments]