Monday 26 March 2012

The Boss



As befits any tribute to two divas with birthdays on consecutive days, I tried to find a link between Madge's best friend Dame Elton John (65 yesterday) and The Boss Diana Ross (who celebrates her 68th today).



In fact the only evidence I have of them "performing" together is at the Rock Music Awards in 1976:


However, it is Diana whose birthday it is today. Over at Dolores Delargo Towers Museum of Camp she is our latest exhibit.

And, most appropriately for what is also Tacky Music Monday, here's Miss Ross, the Supremes and the Temptations (looking as uncomfortable as they could possibly be in the circumstances) giving it their all in the opening medley of Broadway showtunes for their 1969 Getting it Together TV spectacular!


I have (of course) featured the divine Miss Ross many times before here at Give 'em the old Razzle Dazzle, and indeed posted more of her camp performances from this show back in December last year.

Always a joy!

6 comments:

  1. A massive happy birthday to Miss Ross! (Elton can of course go f**k himself). Love the photos - I will be playing Diana all day long (I even bought several of her albums on vinyl this weekend for my collection - might just play some of them today).

    I was watching the Oscar winning short film "Trevor" a few days ago. I saw it many years ago and I loved it (not the mention the Diana songs and pictures used in it) and when watching it again I felt it had lost none of its magic. We all need a diva or two in our lives, right?

    How I adore that woman!

    (BTW: the comment box on your site no longer pops up from the original post, which is a bit annoying)...

    ReplyDelete
  2. We certainly do need Divas in our life (the more the merrier I say)!! Now you've drawn my attention to it, I really must find a copy of "Trevor" - I had never heard of it before. Jx

    PS The reason I changed to putting the comment box under the blog (even though I prefer pop-ups) is twofold - in the pop-up version the person posting a comment can no longer tick a box to be notified about follow-up replies; secondly with comments this way, you can reply direct to each one (like an old-fashioned forum) instead of posting replies in a "stream". It's frustrating that Blogger has tweaked about with its functionality lately (don't even get me started on automatic country recognition!), but c'est la vie...

    ReplyDelete
  3. You can find "Trevor" on one of the volumes of the UK DVD gay short film series "Boys On Film" (vol 4).

    http://www.amazon.co.uk/Boys-On-Film-Protect-From/dp/B0038AL7JW/ref=sr_1_7?s=dvd&ie=UTF8&qid=1332800234&sr=1-7

    I saw "Trevor" on some short film VHS(!) back in the 90s and it was great to see it again. It is a wonderful film, so do check it out if you can (I could SO releate to his diva obsession, hehehe). The more the merrier indeed!

    ReplyDelete
  4. That second pic makes me think there were mountains of coke somewhere nearby.

    ReplyDelete

Please leave a message - I value your comments!

[NB Bear with me if there is a delay - thanks to spammers I might need to approve comments]