Thursday 21 March 2013

More Aunt madness



“Soon after meeting his Aunt Augusta, he has had a run-in with the police, smoked weed on the Orient Express, smuggled money and been offered sex in a brothel in Paris.”

News that the lovely Menier Chocolate Factory is bringing back to London Giles Havergal's farcical all-male stage production of Graham Greene's Travels With My Aunt sent me immediately off to the interwebs for clips of the big screen version from the 70s.

To my chagrin, I have never yet seen the entire movie. I was too young for the original cinematic release, and don't recall it ever appearing on TV over here. However from the meagre evidence I have seen, Dame Maggie Smith appears to be having a field day, camping it up as "Aunt Augusta"...



"Aunts" seem popular at the Menier Chocolate Factory. Travels With My Aunt is on from 2nd May to 29th June 2013. I think we may try and get tickets...

2 comments:

  1. I hope you can get to see the movie version. I think this is what put Maggie on the high camp list. Too fabulous.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It has been "on the list" for far, far too long... Jx

      Delete

Please leave a message - I value your comments!

[NB Bear with me if there is a delay - thanks to spammers I might need to approve comments]