Saturday 10 January 2015

You try explaining 80s television!



Congratulations to Britain's best-loved brainy person Stephen Fry on his engagement to the cute Elliott Spencer, 30 years his junior. Typically, there has been a lot of sniping from narrow-minded idiots.

As ever, one commenter has the wisest words on on the subject:
Most relationships with an age gap fail because of differing children’s television references, it has emerged.

Experts believe the main challenge facing those with younger partners is having to constantly explain obsolete cartoon and puppet-based Saturday morning programming.

Relationship counsellor Donna Sheridan said: “Sadly, no relationship can withstand a hugely detailed description of 'Fraggle Rock' or how He-Man’s cat was cowardly until he zapped it with his sword.

“People in their 30s report seeing their partner’s eyes glaze over as they chatter enthusiastically about 'Chock-a-Block' only to find the person they thought was their soulmate doesn’t even know who Derek Griffiths is.

“And as for 'Rude Dog and the Dweebs', forget it.”

Company director Roy Hobbs said: “My girlfriend’s a lot younger than me, but everything was fine until I did an impression of BA Baracus and she called me a racist.

“I then had to spend 14 minutes outlining the plot and characters of 'The A-Team'. She was like ‘why would anyone in trouble call some mentally ill men who live in a van?’.

“That was the moment our love died. The sex was awesome but I knew I had to get out.”

The Daily Mash.

Of course.

6 comments:

  1. there is no doubt how marvelously 57 slips
    into 27 or vice versa, if they're so inclined.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I imagine it to be quite a theatrical experience... Jx

      Delete
  2. Hey, cultural references are important! I'm 55, and often joke that the only reason I gave my 83 year old partner (now husband) of 26 years (YESTERDAY!!!) a second date was because he was the only man I ever dated who knew who Ina Claire was...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cultural references are indeed important. Ina, who?!

      Congratulations, by the way! Jx

      Delete
  3. Age is naught but a toy for the catty and dreary-minded to bat about. It has no bearing on the love that finds its way through the eyes and beyond to the everlasting warmth of respect. 'Narrow-minded idiots' and Saturday morning cartoons are no match for that.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. "Age is just a number. It's totally irrelevant unless, of course, you happen to be a bottle of wine." - Joan Collins

      Jx

      Delete

Please leave a message - I value your comments!

[NB Bear with me if there is a delay - thanks to spammers I might need to approve comments]