Tuesday 3 November 2015

Chariot, fired



And so, farewell then to the award-winning writer and actor Colin Welland, creator of the all-time classic Chariots of Fire (for which he won the Oscar for "Best Original Screenplay" in 1981).

First coming to prominence as an actor in the 1960s TV police serial Z Cars, he won a "Best Supporting Actor" BAFTA for his role in Kes in 1971. He went on to carve a successful career in screenwriting - including numerous TV plays and series, and film scripts such as Yanks, Twice in a Lifetime and A Dry White Season.

By way of a small tribute, what else could I play but that rousing score by Vangelis for Mr Welland's finest screen achievement..?


Colin Welland (born Colin Williams, 4th July 1934 – 3rd November 2015)

4 comments:

  1. Also he was famously the man whose underpants Russell Harty would least like to be gagged by.


    Why the hell do I keep mentioning Russell Harty?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ewwww. Colin Welland's underpants. No! He was never the prettiest of chaps... Jx

      Delete
  2. I never knew who he was until now. That anecdote has confused me for years.

    ReplyDelete

Please leave a message - I value your comments!

[NB Bear with me if there is a delay - thanks to spammers I might need to approve comments]