Friday 8 July 2016

Cause life is too serious



It's almost the weekend, folks - and it's time for a bop!

Miss Gwen Guthrie, known as "The First Lady of the Paradise Garage" for her barn-storming stage appearances at that legendary New York venue, was a woman in demand in her heyday - she worked with Aretha Franklin, Cissy Houston, Ben E. King, Valerie Simpson, Sister Sledge and Madonna, as well as making an impact as a solo singer. I didn't realise, however, that she departed for Fabulon at the premature age of 48 back in 1999.

She will eternally be remembered for this dance classic, her only Top Ten hit in the UK:


"‘Cause nothin’ from nothin’ leaves nothin’
You got to have somethin’ if you wanna be with me
‘Cause life is too serious, love’s too mysterious
A fly girl like me needs security"


Thank Disco It's Friday!

Have a good weekend...

4 comments:

  1. Have always loved this track and her voice, fab to dee her in the vid.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great disco classic. (The Paradise Garage was located in NYC)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Fixed now, thank you dear! Garage, Warehouse - I get confused :-)

      Jx

      PS I prefer a "Conservatory" or a "Gazebo"

      Delete

Please leave a message - I value your comments!

[NB Bear with me if there is a delay - thanks to spammers I might need to approve comments]