Friday 23 September 2016

Milestones and boy-bands


"Memory... is the diary that we all carry about with us."
- Oscar Wilde

"I just wanna dance, I just wanna fucking dance!"
- Jerry Springer the Opera
Twenty years? Where do they go? Two decades is a long, long time, but some things you never forget.

For it was on this day in 1996 that my Garry died.

As always - but particularly on such a milestone - I raise a glass to "absent friends".

But, to quote another great diva, let's go on with the show..!

At the end of any working week, I am always in the mood for a party - and, knowing I was about to play one of his fave boy-bands Seventh Avenue, so would Garry be, no doubt.

So to get things started on a suitably boppy note, here's their first hit Love's Gone Mad:


And by way of a bonus, here are the boys again, showing off their (ahem!) talents at a gay club in Edinburgh called Fire Island - and Ending Upon a High:


Thank Disco (or should that be Hi-NRG?) It's Friday!

Clink clink, Garry. RIP.

8 comments:

  1. ABSENT FRIENDS INDEED! Will raise a glass for Gary tonight! x x x

    ReplyDelete
  2. We will also be joining in the toast. I think Gary would be having a laugh now, looking back at "his favourite band", bless him. Never having heard of Seventh Avenue, I looked them up on Wikipedia (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Seventh_Avenue_(band)). Either that's the wrong group or they really have changed! Take care and big hugs xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think the clue was in the word "band", which might indicate a modicum of musical prowess, rather than teeth and tits. The last remaining members of Seventh Avenue regrouped as Big Fun, who you also probably never heard of.

      Cheers, darling - "absent friends". Jx

      Delete
  3. Sending you our hugs and some nice Gin:) Crog & Hils
    x x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. “The gin and tonic has saved more Englishmen’s lives, and minds, than all the doctors in the Empire" - Winston Churchill

      Jx

      Delete
  4. Thanks so much for this,mostly for reminding me how much I love the video for " I just wanna fucking dance!"

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. All together, now - "I don't give a fuck no more, if people think I am a whore!"

      Words to live by - I must feature it again here some time. Jx

      Delete

Please leave a message - I value your comments!

[NB Bear with me if there is a delay - thanks to spammers I might need to approve comments]