Saturday 8 October 2016

A toasted cheese Band-aid?



From our local web forum Harringay Online came this fascinating piece. Who knew that the esteemed John Wesley, founder of the Methodists, also wrote a best-selling "home doctor" self-help book?

Among some very sensible stuff he features, that probably would be worth knowing today [his sage warnings against the commonest "quack cures" of the time such as Quicksilver (Mercury) or bleeding are way ahead of their time], there's a weird and wonderful selection of "cure-alls". If you ever wanted to know how to cure the Ague (by wearing a waistcoat made of bark, of course!), "Canine Appetite", Windy Rupture (with cow-dung!) or Quinsy of the Breast, then this is the book for you.

You can even heal a cut... with toasted cheese! Apparently.



You can download this invaluable tome Primitive Physic: or an Easy and Natural Method of Curing Most Diseases from Archive.org [as a PDF]

2 comments:

  1. I have tried pouring salt into my ear but will now try brandy and sweet oil if I can find some black wool.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I fancy chafing my parts with Hungary-Water, myself. Jx

      Delete

Please leave a message - I value your comments!

[NB Bear with me if there is a delay - thanks to spammers I might need to approve comments]