Tuesday 18 July 2017

Gilding the Lily



“To gild refined gold, to paint the lily,
Is wasteful and ridiculous excess.”

- William Shakespeare, King John

Oh, the Lilies here at Dolores Delargo Towers (in pots, just outside the back door) have been such a joy of late...

I think these majestic purveyors of the most heavenly scent deserve a beautiful piece of music to accompany them.

How fitting that today would have been the 90th birthday of the great conductor Kurt Masur - and here he is conducting a sublime piece from Antonin Dvořák to soothe our troubled minds:

Gewandhausorchester Leipzig, cond. Kurt Masur - Dvořák: 8 Slavonic Dances, Op.72, No.2 in E Minor (Allegretto grazioso)

Kurt Masur (18th July 1927 – 19th December 2015)

2 comments:

  1. For several years, I had such good luck with Stargazer lilies (and talk about heavenly scents,) but for these last few attempts I think the moles had eaten the bulbs for lunch before I had washed the dirt off my hands.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Moles - doubtful (they eat worms); mice/rats/squirrels are more likely culprits. One year, bloody foxes chewed up a pot of them in our garden! And we lost loads last Spring to virus and mould. But when they survive the "slings and arrows", they're wonderful... Jx

      Delete

Please leave a message - I value your comments!

[NB Bear with me if there is a delay - thanks to spammers I might need to approve comments]